It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:23 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to am2r

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Current situation and the future
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:48 pm 
Site Admin

I know I don't participate in the forums as much as I should. But given the situation, I'd like to clarify some things so we're all in the same page.

The email I received last thursday was from Paul Havel of Miller and Nash. The title of the email mentioned a DMCA takedown notification, but the email included a list of demands from Nintendo.
In this email, they do mention the update and the prior DMCA notices. So it's clear that this is not part of an automated process getting false positives triggered by screenshots or metadata.
I chose to comply with the demands, to avoid legal conflict.
AM2R won't be developed any more, there will be no more updates nor new releases in any platform. This includes the source code.
Strangely enough, Confrontation isn't mentioned at all, and it wasn't affected by all this situation.

The soundtrack will be available, eventually. There will be a lossless option, besides the regular mp3 downloads. I'll let you know on the blog once that's ready.

As for the future, I started a new project from the ground up, and I'm expanding some of the established systems in AM2R. It'll take some time to get some showable material, but it'll be something original.
AM2R was something special for me, and I do appreciate the passion and dedication you guys have about the project. But right now, for me, it's time to move on. I'll be focusing my time and effort in the future.

I want to thank all of you, for your support, suggestions and criticism. The positive feedback after each demo drove the project forward. Being motivated was a challenge sometimes, and here I always found good people with good ideas. I'll be around, even if I don't post often.
Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Current situation and the future
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:32 pm 

What if you just replaced all the Metroid names and assets in the game by something new, original? Would that be possibility, or would that still cause legal problems?

Not saying that you should do that. I understand that you want to move on and I respect that decision. Just wondering if that would be a possiblity. I mean, at least people could legally play the game then, even if it wasn't a Metroid game anymore, which shouldn't matter too much, considering the publicity the game has gotten.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:16 pm 

That would be a truly massive undertaking considering all of the assets in AM2R. I suggested the same thing, but it would be tough. I think Doc is probably doing the right thing by moving on and I personally am looking forward to his future work.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:18 pm 

So, they sent a Demand Letter; or more colloquially known as a Cease and Desist letter.

First thing you need to know Mr. Guasti is that a law firm in the United States CANNOT take you to court as they don't have any legal authority outside the United States. Furthermore, if they *DID* want to try and press charges in a US Court, you would need to be present, and there is absolutely no way a Judge would request the United States Department of State themselves request the Government of Argentina extradite you. There is absolutely no way you would face any legal repercussions in the United States because you don't live there and they don't have legal authority outside the US.

And this isn't something you need a lawyer to tell you... All this stuff is based on common knowledge about legal jurisdictions and international procedures.

Also; they CANNOT demand ANYTHING from you because you are NOT in the United States. And you CANNOT face prosecution.

The ONLY thing they can do is continue issuing DMCA takedown requests for content posted on sites hosted INSIDE the United States.

Put simply; they cannot touch you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:36 pm 

It would of been nice to see what the final version would be, but of course Nintendo has to crash on their party. Although I do think you should consider Dude's point.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:26 pm 

It sucks that it has come to this but what's done is done. I really enjoy AM2R and I will definitely follow your next project even if it is a paid one. Good luck :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:19 pm 

Have you thought about contacting Nintendo about giving them the rights to the game? If you're done with the project entirely, even just to respect Nintendo's wishes, if there's a chance you could make the game an official part of the series, I think that would be incredible.

Regardless on what your stance is concerning AM2R, I do wish you luck in your future endeavors. I sincerely hope your next project, which I have every confidence will be of comperable quality (or better) to this one, will be produced for financial gain. You've no idea how bad I've felt not being able to support you monetarily for the amazing job you've done on AM2R, and I wish to do so for whatever you're working on next.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:45 pm 

alright, but If I could have one request, could you finish the Fusion suit sprite? I would really like to see what it could've looked like. It counts as technical fan art, so you shouldn't have a problem.

thanks and I don't know if you or Sabre saw it but, these were intended to be a sorta tribute to metroid and maybe as bonus unlock images for AM2R but it got shut down before I could send it to ya:

http://mbt808.deviantart.com/art/Metroi ... -632769712

http://mbt808.deviantart.com/art/Metroi ... -632605970

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:28 am 

While I do imagine you had further plans for a revision, the game I have played as of now feels no less complete than any other 2D metroid title, so I can live with what we got. I do firmly believe that Nintendo should not have chosen this course of action, but it will not have much real impact on the spread of the game long term, so it is what it is. I have already beat 1.0 and 1.1 once each respectively, and I thank you for what you have done, given I've been following this project since 2008.

I am also glad to hear we'll get a soundtrack release eventually, as that was the final thing I truly hoped for from the project.

I do believe Nintendo should've considered giving you the option to acquire your work and release it themselves, but I realize how incredibly unrealistic that is given the current game market. Even developers in the Sonic scene turned pro began life on new projects, not old.

If they were smart, however, they'd hire and assemble a team for you for a new 2D metroid, but alas. Such will never happen.

Once again, thank you. I look forward to seeing what you produce in future years and hope you are on the path to being a successful indie dev for many years to come.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:40 am 

I have been proud to be a part of this community, and every day spent waiting, was a day well worth it. AM2R has done everything it needed to, and while it is sad that Doc is moving on, I wish him all of the luck in the world.
In all honesty, his completion of this game has inspired me, and while I don't have many details, I will be working on my own title soon, in fact I already have a small team. We're sussing out the details, but I can say honestly, without seeing the quality a fan project can be, I would never have wanted to see my own projects all the way through.
Doc, thank you for everything you have done, and everything you will do for the gaming community at large. See you next mission!