It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 12:27 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to am2r

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Save file editor
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:20 pm 

If anyone is interested in a save file editor, here it is: https://mega.nz/#!IQ9h3JCY!gkm7OqaWBpVGIr5HyGAHQUyPs5lD65w2a5pZ42uqfR8.

NEW: Version 2.5
Download: https://mega.nz/#!pEMxHCgC!mCV8pwo9fpkXlN7by7bsQDRXbLadzHXYdMH4LsaWCVs

What's new: it can read save files from the v1.2 community patch. It will always write v1.1 save files, but they can be read with the v1.2 community patch as well.

Version 2.4
Download: https://mega.nz/#!5UlVnQSZ!27qzF0qiN8GxFZFvoJ-xAbKCnXXQS3XXpJKJjvdzJIg

What's new: template for the full map, and a feature to copy sections of one save file to another one. This is especially useful to copy the full map to an already existing save file.

Version 2.3
Download: https://mega.nz/#!4N0BXLJA!R35k6o1fHauZDBFNiA87sq6qdDoUEyVPeyTSd7rK-XI

What's new: more templates.

Version 2.2
Download: https://mega.nz/#!NAkimTZS!1sVeRjvktAhbb8l8lZHJYEetBTlGhNmHK0At_rlyV6Y

What's new: NewGame+ template from here.

Version 2.1
Download: https://mega.nz/#!AQUUGT4J!mb-tu4s8REZVOnDcABzGcroru3gQ8as0vtbIXru4cco

What's new: Metroids have names too!

Version 2
Download: https://mega.nz/#!tZlVGa4C!4nmbImp1gJBfB0t5B8SXQDS74Xs-KAgSN6XPM7tl7Ck

This includes names for all the numerical IDs (save stations, events, logs, items, hints).

It can read a save file (in appdata/local/am2r), you can modify every value that is stored in there, and you can write it to a file again. This tool doesn't perform any range/consistency checks, so you can have a specific lava level with living Metroids, more energy tanks/missile tanks/power bomb tanks than normally possible and so. Interestingly, you can select/enable items in the inventory which you didn't collect.

Backup your save file(s) before using this tool! And don't forget: you can have 3 save files simultaneously (sav1 - sav3).

What you need: Java 8 runtime environment

If you don't trust me and think this is a virus: decompile it and check it / use a java security manager / run it in a sandbox / ... or don't use it at all.

Last edited by unknown on Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:07 am, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Save file editor
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:35 am 

Awesome work! This is helpful for practicing speedruns.

Any plans on improving it maybe? Like giving actual names to some numeric values (save rooms etc.)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:59 pm 

Naatiska wrote:
Any plans on improving it maybe? Like giving actual names to some numeric values (save rooms etc.)
I have better things to do (extract accurate map data with enemy locations, ...; redraw the map in a more efficient format; write a better/more efficient engine; port it to consoles; ...), but if you have time and provide a list of name/id mappings, I can include it. For the save stations the mapping looks like this (if I have time, I'll include this list in the tool):
Code:
0   rm_a0h01
1   rm_a0h03a
2   rm_a0h04c
3   rm_a1h02
4   rm_a1a01
5   rm_a1h07
6   rm_a2a01A
7   rm_a2c02
8   rm_a2a03
9   rm_a3h01
10   rm_a3a02
11   rm_a3a17
12   rm_a0h19
13   rm_a0h26
14   rm_a4a02
15   rm_a4h14
16   rm_a4b12
17   rm_a5c03
18   rm_a5c19
19   rm_a5c28
20   rm_a0h33
21   rm_a6a15
22   rm_a6b06
23   rm_a6b16
24   rm_a7b01
24   rm_a7b02A
25   rm_a8a14
I'm not sure if it's a bug in AM2R to have two save rooms with ID 24 ...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:18 pm 

How can I change know how many time my game has because it says it has 297.693?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:40 pm 

JohnVyttalRay wrote:
How can I change know how many time my game has because it says it has 297.693?
Probably this should read "297,693.0", and it is caused by your computer's locale settings. Change this value to the game time in seconds you wish to have (e.g. enter "60" to get an ingame time of 1 minute). Although you can enter a floating point value (with "." as decimal point), I've only seen integer values from the game.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:07 pm 

i stop using java since like forever the damn thing likes to hug on memory like if it was a real parasite. anyway could this be build in any other language like C++.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:38 am 

jvhellraiser wrote:
i stop using java since like forever the damn thing likes to hug on memory like if it was a real parasite.
It's a myth that the JVM eats up all your memory. The JVM allocates a large memory block on startup (the exact size depends on your PC's RAM size), because it is much faster to allocate a large memory block once than to constantly expand a small memory block later on. This memory is used to store Java objects, and it is managed by the JVM in a very intelligent way, which makes object allocation very fast.

If you think the JVM should work with less memory, you can override the JVM's default values and specify the maximum heap size with the "-Xmx" parameter (and the initial heap size with the "-Xms" parameter).

jvhellraiser wrote:
anyway could this be build in any other language like C++.
It could be done, if you have the time to port it. I won't do this, because nobody (except you) needs it. With C++ you have to build a version for each operating system, and you have to compile it for every platform somebody may use (e.g. Linux/x86, Linux/x64, Linux/ARMv6, Linux/ARMv8, …). With my Java version, I just distribute a single jar file, and it literally works everywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:00 pm 

any idea what lavastate means...?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:35 pm 

smashbro596 wrote:
any idea what lavastate means...?
It's the lava level. In other words: it's the number of earth quakes that already happened.

If you don't know what something is, then back up your file and experiment :-P

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:39 pm 

If this editor can be used to start the game with the lava cleared, it looks like we'll have our New Game+ after all.