It is currently Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:17 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to am2r

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: AM2R Content that was planned for future updates
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:07 pm 

Hello everyone!

Based on recent events regarding the project's sudden end, I'd like to share the ideas that were being discussed, considered, planned for later updates to AM2R. The following list only consists of those that were mentioned between me, DoctorM64 and Ridley during AM2R's development. If there are any additional info/ideas that I'm not aware of, hopefully the Doc or other members of his team can expand on this topic :)

Let's begin with the one I considered the most promising:

New Game+ mode
Remember how SR388's main tunnel has boulders and lava that block progression, but disappear when nearby Metroids are killed?
There were plans to add a non-linear mode that players would unlock after beating the game. This mode would remove all the lava and boulders found in SR388's main tunnel. From the moment you'd start up a new file, you'd have access to every single area in the game, with the exception of the Genetics Lab until all Alphas, Gammas, Zetas and Omegas are killed (similar to how Super Metroid's Tourian was blocked off until the 4 main bosses were defeated). This would have offered us alot of freedom in completing the game the way we'd want, such as hunting Metroids in reverse order, or collecting all items before mowing down the species. With the Distribution Center's teleporting pipes, a variety of playthroughs would have been possible.

New weapons
In addition to removing the boulders and lava, the Doc had planned in adding new weapons that, I believe, would be exclusive to NG+. These weapons were the Beam combos, carefully hidden in the game in order to motivate players to re-explore SR388. I have no idea if they were going to be based on either Super Metroid's or Prime series' Beam combos, or if they were going to be original designs. It's possible they were going to use up Missile ammo/Power Bomb ammo for balance purposes. Whichever the case, they were all going to share 1 very important trait: they'd be capable of damaging Metroids, offering players new ways of dealing with the species and adding more variety to subsequent playthroughs.

Additional Endings/Artwork gallery
Seeing as how AM2R represents the series' 30th anniversary, there were plans for additional endings being based on memorable moments throughout the entire Metroid series. Examples off the top of my head: Samus fighting the Metroid Prime, the Baby Metroid saving Samus from Mother Brain, Samus meeting Gorea while the other Hunters lie defeated on the ground, Samus reuniting with the Etecoons and Dachoras in the BSL station, etc. The Doc and I had discussed about getting in touch with various artists from Deviantart and asking them to draw the additional endings, or give them the liberty to draw their own personal favorite moment(s). I'd like to think we'd have put in at least one artwork for each game in the series.

Additional log entries
I had suggested to Doc about adding log entries written by dead Galactic Federation personnel, with the sole purpose of expanding the series' lore. A few weeks prior to AM2R's release, I wrote a particularly lengthy one that focused entirely on answering several mysteries regarding the Larva Metroid stage, such as:
- Why is it that larvae carry multiple nuclei (red cores), but all later stages possess only 1?
- Why is it exactly that larvae are unable to evolve properly on other planets?
- Can beta-radiation multiply the more evolved stages just like it does to the larva stage?
- Why are the larvae more exploitable/favorable as bioweapons than every other stage?

The Doc greatly enjoyed its content, but due to its length, he suggested it to be cut into multiple logs that would be collected by exploring the GFS Thoth in a future update. During my free time, I created the following images in order to give an idea on how they may have turned out. I would have shortened/changed them for their final in-game appearance, but at this point it doesn't matter. I'd like to give credit to the user Rundas45 for creating the fantastic Prime series Metroid sprites.
ImageImageImage
If given the chance, I'd have loved to write logs that gave insight to the unfortunate scientists and/or Federation soldiers, such as their thoughts on the matter at hand, or their final moments. I'd have also throw in a reference to Metroid Prime: Hunters in order to have AM2R contain Easter eggs of every game in the series (except Pinball, due to it being a retelling of MP1). For those curious, here's Wikitroid's list of game references in AM2R.

Secret Ending
There were discussions regarding a hard-to-get, post-credits cutscene that would serve to explain the origin of these crystals mostly seen near the end of the game.
The ending was going to reveal them to be crystallized X Parasites. After players would view their item collection rate, completion time and ending artwork, the game would switch back to the Egg room, where the hatched eggs and crystals would be seen. A normal hornoad would walk in, and one of the crystals would suddenly shake before liquefying into an X. After invading the animal's body, melting it and leaving nothing but bones, the X would turn into a hornoad-X. As it growls and twitches erratically, the other crystals in the room begin to shake. Screen fades to black...
The cutscene wouldn't explain why they're crystallized, but it's easy to imagine the older Metroid stages using a chemical that hardens the X before being brought to the egg room as baby food. Everytime you walk by those crystals near the end of AM2R, know that Samus had a very close encounter with death :D

Federation Force Mech
Near the end of AM2R's development, we had a brief discussion about Federation Force. I mentioned how cool it might have been to have a cutscene where one the Federation Mechs fights an Omega Metroid, a direct homage to James Cameron's Aliens where Ripley fights the Queen with the Powerloader. The Doc showed enthusiasm on the idea, and we talked on how the Mech's designs would have to be non-chibi, with him adding that creating the sprites would motivate him to have a mech that Samus could pilot in-game, which would have taken a month or more of work to properly implement. Obviously, the release date was near, so the idea wasn't discussed further, but chances are it might have resurfaced in a future update.

Unused assets and other stuff
For those that are unaware, here's a link that shows off unused assets of AM2R.
http://imgur.com/a/IpzB3
I'm not sure if there are other links that contain more assets like these. Minor things that might have popped up in later updates were the missing Blob Throwers and Septoggs, a planned cutscene where an Omega Metroid is seen eating a Serris (to show off his status as the top predator). The Doc has mentioned on the forums how the cancelled update was going to add something to the final boss, new music, among other things, but I have no further details on that.

This is all I can remember. I hope this list gives insight on what the later versions of AM2R might have turned out. If I haven't given correct info or forgotten a few details, feel free to correct/add to the discussion!

Post subject: Re: AM2R Content that was planned for future updates
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:18 pm 

There are some unused rooms which made it into the data file of the final game: http://imgur.com/a/CYCeY

EDIT: maybe also interesting: What future updates and goals will never be realized now that AM2R development has been terminated?

Last edited by unknown on Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:29 pm 

awesome post, thank you! :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:13 am 

All the more makes me want Nintendo's executive heads on a stake.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:35 am 

Zero Dozer wrote:

I'd settle for the lawyers, though the execs are certainly complicit in their actions. After seeing Sega fire some shots at Nintendo over fan games today it'll be interesting to see if things snowball into something big enough to cause some real positive change regarding not-for-profit fan games.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:56 am 

Actos wrote:
Zero Dozer wrote:

I'd settle for the lawyers, though the execs are certainly complicit in their actions. After seeing Sega fire some shots at Nintendo over fan games today it'll be interesting to see if things snowball into something big enough to cause some real positive change regarding not-for-profit fan games.

There's no way Nintendo will go unpunished for all the shit they gave us, especially for making Doc back out of fan gaming.

I WANT THEM TO PAY DEARLY FOR THIS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:12 am 

Nintendo? Who at Nintendo? The legal department? If so, you should be mad at Nintendo's legal department, not Nintendo as a whole. A lot of Nintendo doesn't know what goes on the internets and legal stuffs. And also what Nintendo's? Nintendo Murica? Nintendo Europe? Japan? Like, don't blame all of Nintendo.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:46 pm 

Highscores: 3
...that's an interesting thought, though. Now I'm kind of hoping that this does snowball. Partly because of the attention that would be given to AM2R, but moreso because the contrast between SEGA's actions and Nintendo's is jarring enough that it might have some effect on the latter if more of this reaches the public. This whole issue is still pretty quiet.

Anyway, nice to at least see what the plans were. Shame that the final edition of AM2R had to be scrapped, but Doc and the team seem even more prepared to continue on with the next project.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:55 pm 

What stops the code from being handed to someone else to continue development in secret?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:24 am 

The fact that any more work on am2r will get doc in trouble, he isn't allowed to even share the code. And it's not even worth it.