It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:44 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to am2r

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Unofficial 1.2 update download
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:47 pm 

Edit: the magnet link has been updated to Gatordile's 1.2.10.

Shortly after the release of 1.1, Nintendo asked Doctor M64 to stop developing AM2R. There were still a couple of minor bugs in the game and there were some features he was looking at adding for future updates. A few months ago, YellowAfterlife reverse engineered the source code for GameMaker and made that public. Since then, a few people have worked on making an unofficial update to AM2R (and many others have wanted a copy I'm sure).

Gatordile is the first person that helped me figure out how to work with the code and he is the one mostly responsible for this update. Reaku The Crate also had some contribution to this as well. I added the NewGame+ feature and did added the PlayStation buttons (as well as a few other minor tweaks). All of these changes can be modified by the user so each person can customize their game.

I am making this new post as Gatordile was not comfortable distributing the files. I've started a torrent (magnet link below) that I will continue to seed. I can also give out a Dropbox link if you shoot me a PM. The files are already patched, so you do not need a previous copy of AM2R for this to work.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:8E87E9766E8D9E3E98D56A18E19C419A4077A0F3&dn=AM2R_1210.zip&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.opentrackr.org%3a1337%2fannounce

Last edited by CraigKostelecky on Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:59 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Unofficial 1.2 update download
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:09 am 

Vadim, a.k.a "Yellowafterlife", he's a programmer from Ukraine.

When I downloaded source code from gitlab, I thought this name is familiar to me. One month later after finishing Simplified Chinese version of AM2R, I remembered I heard from others that he wrote many gamemaker tutorials, extension and etc, and also a moderator of official gamemaker forum. Then I checked his Twitter and thanked him.

When I did Chinese version of AM2R, I only fixed some small glitches, didn't add any new feature. I also tried porting AM2R source code to gamemaker 2 after I purchased GM2, but it had many works to do and I gave up…

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:51 am 

CraigKostelecky wrote:
I am making this new post as Gatordile was not comfortable distributing the files. I've started a torrent (magnet link below) that I will continue to seed. I can also give out a Dropbox link if you shoot me a PM. The files are already patched, so you do not need a previous copy of AM2R for this to work.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:CFDCD77BBD7E2959A7324F6071E1DC413342B603&dn=Gatordile1.21&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.opentrackr.org%3a1337%2fannounce

Sorry if this seems like a noobish question, but how do I access this magnet link?? :O

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:33 am 

The magnet link is how torrent files are shared. If you don't want to bother with that, feel free to PM me (I know you already did, I'm putting this here for others to see as well) and I'll link you directly to my Dropbox file.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:48 pm 

Hey, I'm curious: does this fix any of the major complaints people had with the original AM2R? (like Omega metroids being easier than Zeta metroids; Serris, Gamma, and the Queen Metroid being too easy in general; the ice beam not having much point aside from killing hatchlings; the last area being too easy (can screwattack everything and Omega Metroid battles have no variation); etc.)

I ask because the reason I registered was to give feedback on the game, but when I saw that people had already said what I was gonna say, I decided not to post anything.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:43 pm 

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:
Hey, I'm curious: does this fix any of the major complaints people had with the original AM2R? (like Omega metroids being easier than Zeta metroids; Serris, Gamma, and the Queen Metroid being too easy in general; the ice beam not having much point aside from killing hatchlings; the last area being too easy (can screwattack everything and Omega Metroid battles have no variation); etc.)

I ask because the reason I registered was to give feedback on the game, but when I saw that people had already said what I was gonna say, I decided not to post anything.

I know that the user Gatordile, who worked on earlier unofficial patches, had fixed the Omega Metroid complaints. I remember he mentioned something about increasing Serris's damage output. However, I'm not sure if any of these changes are present in the download posted by CraigKostelecky. You're better off sending him a private message to find out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:59 pm 

This version is Gatordile's release. He just wasn't comfortable distributing it himself.

There is an ini file that you can modify to alter the health of the major enemies. So you can change the Omega to how it was in 1.0 (or even harder).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:39 pm 

Just boosting Serris's damage isn't going to fix the issue of it being an easy boss. It's just a band-aid cure that could even leave the boss feeling cheap if taken too far. The issue with Serris is that it spends the match aimlessly darting around its chamber, seemingly ambivalent to your being there ripping it to shreds. Very rarely will it actively make an attempt to attack you. This leaves the battle feeling more tedious than exciting.

Now, how to fix this? Take a page out of Fusion's book, and restructure Area 5 so that the Gravity Suit comes after the Ice Beam, and Serris guards the entrance to the Gravity Suit. Set up the arena so the player has a small pocket of air above Serris's pool, with floating platforms that bob in response to the player jumping on them. Have Serris attempt to knock the player in, varying its attacks between ramming into the player, knocking rubble down from the ceiling in a long row (which can be destroyed with a single bomb, to give the player an alternate means of dealing with it), and leaping high into the air to crash down into a platform, temporarily sinking it. If Serris rams the player while fully submerged, it grabs them in its jaws and slams them into the wall of the pool, dealing heavy damage. And finally, make it so that Serris can only be damaged on segments where you've frozen them and then shattered its armor with a Super Missile.
With all of these aspects combined, it should serve to give the player a morw grandiose version of the Serris battle from Fusion, with the spectacle and hype now having some actual bite given how hectic and fast-paced the battle would become.

Also, as to the Gamma Metroids, I feel like they strike a decent point in difficulty for where they come in, inconsistent hitboxes notwithstanding.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:05 pm 

Yeah, I agree with Master_Hill_: changing the amount of health they have isn't going to change how difficult it is to defeat them; their AI is the problem.

As a side note, I will specify that my issue isn't that the Omega Metroids are easier than the Zeta Metroids; it's that the Zeta Metroids are harder than the Omega Metroids, if only because (at least on hard mode) they seem to block almost every missile you throw at them, no matter how fast you shoot. Make them difficult; don't make them sponges.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:12 pm 

Zetas actually have a very specific pattern there. You have to shoot two missiles at a time if you want to hit them when they're not vulnerable. The first missile will be blocked, but the second will hit home because of a cooldown on the block. This cooldown is short enough on hard mode, though, that it's better to just exploit their vulnerable frames during things like landing after a jump, or spewing acid.