It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:18 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to am2r

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Head Canons
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:47 am 

What's your personal take on the Metroid canon? Your ideas and imagination?

NOTE: The goal of this thread is not to pit people against each other who prefer certain Metroid titles. Refrain from doing so.

I'll give an overview of my head canon.

While the vast majority of Other M is absent from my canon, admittedly what backstory does coincide with the mangas is acceptable. It gives more depth to her life before becoming a bounty hunter and the events before Metroid/Zero Mission. As far as I'm concerned however, everything that occured in the bottleship and Sakamoto's fantasy world (where even Samus's height is wrong) is not canon.

With that out of the way, for me by far the most mysterious and interesting story is in Prime Hunters. What other alien races exist in the Metroid universe, galaxy, Federation space and in the Federation itself? Just how vast is the Metroid universe? It definitely follows the model of Star Wars in this respect, with almost infinite possibilities. You could even legitimately have a crossover of the two.

Some things are for sure though. Phazon still exists in the universe, and alternate dimensions are involved. The Chozo's influence in the galaxy is quite expansive. It even provides an explanation as to why the other bounty hunters had similar weapons and could morph into other forms. Undiscovered Chozo technology could be ripe for the taking.

The physics behind Phaaze's explosion are completely unknown, and the events that took place there before Samus's arrival are obscure. There's no telling if Dark Samus is dead, if the Ing won't return, if Metroids or even the Chozo themselves have not been reborn in corruption. I'm almost positive Sylux is a corrupted human bounty hunter or even an iteration of Dark Samus.

As for the immediate future after Fusion, it's a tough call. Nintendo could do anything here with the inevitable next game. It's safe to say though, that a powerful group within the Federation are enemies of Samus. However - again, with the facsimilies from Star Wars - the Federation appears to be a diverse political body, and we know that at least part of this group is human.

My hope for the series is definitely that the fate and origins of the Chozo are brought more into light, as well as the other races. Life in this universe - cough, Star Wars clone - is definitely very ancient, with biological origins of vast periods of time. There's definitely supernatural forces at work in the universe. The Chozo seem not to have merely died off, but something spiritual also occured. Phantoon is also an example of the supernatural phenomenon. A revisit to the Luminoth would also be cool.

Edit: Also, the parallel between X parasites, Gorea from Prime Hunters and phazon corruption is hard to ignore. The logical explanation here is that these share a common ancestry, with an organism that first evolved the ability to mimic. Phazon would be a more highly evolved version that instead of just mimicry, actually takes control of the host. We could definitely see a return of an even more powerful mimic.

Last edited by Chozo Warrior on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:55 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Head Canons
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:03 pm 

Head mounted canons? i'd strongly advise against trying that. LOL

I think the majority of Metroid fans would like to ignore Other M, not for the overal story but for the bad execution of the characterisation and some logic inconsistencies with the rest of the series.

While it's easy to avoid the first one by doing a better and more belivable writing and presentation, the inconsistencies are the real issue.

Unless you somehow put Other M into a parallel universe where some other events never happened.
I'd call it the WWS universe where Samus is a weak whinery girl that obeys orders. ;)

Nintendo has never been good with story telling in their games.
Most of them have only a basic story with no real connection at all (Mario) while others need more a time tree then a time line to make sense (looking at you Zelda).

So far the Metroid Series is the only Nintendo Series i know that has something like a Timeline.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:51 am 

^ Pokemon definitely has a solid story, actually. That's about it though. Zelda's way of storytelling might be ambiguous, but it's still storytelling and that's what makes it unique and interesting. The time tree is a way of expressing different possible outcomes or dimensions of the Zelda universe like, "what if this happened instead of that?"

Other M could have been viewed that way, however its gameplay and story were simply too mediocre to stand out in its own right.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:21 am 

Pokemon works because it plays off what I like to refer to as the Elder Scrolls timeline, where each Elder Scrolls game is the same concept in the same world, but with a different region of that world, at a different time period. That world, like in Pokemon, is unspoken about, almost taboo perhaps, as no insight at all is ever given to its size, is it a planet? is it, just a plane of existence? Is it purgatory? (I'm looking at you, Lost) Who the **** knows? It's hard to argue with the continuity of the story when you don't know exactly what the hell is going on. Zelda, they play off the folklore type thing, that while Link is technically Link in every game, he's not the "same" Link, rather a nearly identical Elvish boy "reborn" into that area to fight the "reborn" evil with the "reborn" princess, the same spiritual figures bound to eternally fulfill a prophecy, in that magical mythical world, it works, because, well it's magic and you can defy the laws of space and time. Metroid, however, suffers from the lost timeline syndrome, where it can't seem to figure out when in the hell it is, for all we know, Metroid could be taking place in our area of the universe 3,000 years from now, or in the time of the fucking Crusades in some other dimension of space, not to mention, where in proximity to the Lylat system Samus Aran is, is Star Fox part of a UN of galactic federation? Are Metroids or X parasites going to infest Dinosaur Planet? Not to mention on top of that, unlike all these other storyline methodologies, Samus Aran exists in the same time period, as a mortal woman, easily starting out in her 20's to 30's. Most of these events are written so as they ran consecutively to each other, one almost always beginning from the aftermath of a previous mission. That's not to say that one couldn't "wormhole" the timeline and rewrite and reorganize events without disturbing the continuity of the timeline, or perhaps even, eradicate an entire title and replace it with key details to fill in the blanks. Considering Nintendo pulled a Star Wars and wrote three of the last titles first, and then came back and re-wrote three prequels, the Prime games, made Fusion, this way end game, somewhere in the middle of those, and then shoved Other M in between them, with a ton of continuity between Super and Other M, and virtually none between Other M and Fusion. The only thing in that game is Adam, and like I just said, Fusion came out long before Other M, so nobody really knew who Adam was, with the exception of the explanation it gave, and it was satisfying, until OTHER M. So if we theoretically do that Men In Black thing and erase everyone's minds of Other M, we could technically just never insert that title, place her on SR388 after the final eradication of the Metroids (Super) and still technically leave a ton of open ended areas to go after Fusion, since she gets her powers back, and there's never any real burned bridges in the series, considering how many times the Metroids were "eradicated" and how uncontained the Metroid universe is, like all their other worlds, it's very easy to build off of. It's incredible how in depth a video game's storyline can really be if you want to dig deep enough into it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:28 am 

As I wrote in my OP, you can actually infer that it is a Star Wars-esque universe, where biologically it must have taken billions of years for those races to evolve. It's also a logical, scientifically sound world, except for the addition of the supernatural. That and the existence of humanity and at some point of Earth, are the only similarities to real life.

Regarding the "Nintendo Universe" I do not view Samus's universe as actually being within this universe, especially not due to Smash Bros. lore, if you can even call it that. I see Metroid as its own universe.

Also, we knew who Adam was through the manga. It's strange though, that Sakamoto contradicted HIS OWN games - all except the Prime series - with Other M, just for the sake of his obvious jealousy of not being a part of the Prime series development.
I really hope Nintendo just forgets about Other M and pretends it doesnt exist, in the next game.

I actually didn't know this for a long time either, but Pokemon world is literally Japan and Hawaii in an alternate dimension. That's it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:09 pm 

I also think that most Nintendo Series take part in their very own universe.
A lot of these games even have huge differences in how the world works physically.

I don't think Nintendo ever bothered about how these worlds could be connect, they just wanted to forge unique characters and worlds.

Some of them could be sharing the same universe though.
Like when you think of Mario and Donkey Kong, which originated both in the first Donkey Kong game.
Allthough todays DK doesn't have much in common with the original King Kong like ape.

On the other hand, even some of the games of the same Franchise could be located in their own alternate reality.
e.g. Paper Mario or whool yoshi/kirby, 2D, 2.5D and 3D Universe.

But like i said, that's not Nintendos intention to deliver a coherent universe where everything makes sense somehow.
It's the fans that search for interconnections and ways to explain these connections.

If Nintendo needs to put their Characters from different games into the same game, they invent their own explaination like seen in Smash Bros. "Toys to life" approach.